The son of the UK’s first “successful” heart transplant patient 40 years ago has spoken about how his father “became a celebrity overnight”.
Keith Castle, then aged 52, lived for more than five years after surgery at Papworth Hospital, Cambridgeshire in August 1979.
His son, Keith Jnr, is meeting the surgeon Sir Terence English, 86, to mark the anniversary.
It signalled a new era for transplants and his father became a regular on TV.
Keith Jnr, who was 29 in 1979, said: “Perhaps that was naïve, but the way we saw it was quite simple, really – without the operation dad would have soon died.
“I remember his first words when he came round were along the lines of ‘did Fulham win on Saturday?’
“Dad became a celebrity overnight, really. People would always stop us in the street to talk about what happened.”
Londoner Mr Castle died in 1985, aged 58.
Retired surgeon Sir Terence said he struggled to get government support for the procedure.
“Before [Keith Castle’s] operation I’d been met with tremendous criticism about heart transplantation, including a letter from the Department for Health at the end of 1978 saying there would be no funding and the moratorium on heart transplantation would be continuing,” he said.
“I thought ‘damn that’ and managed to get approval from the Cambridge Area Health Authority – and we went ahead.”
He carried out a transplant on a first patient in January 1979, who survived for a few weeks, and Mr Castle was his second.
“Keith spent 28 days in isolation following the transplant and his success allowed us to generate more funding to ensure the heart transplant programme in the UK could become what it is today,” said Sir Terence.
Surgeons at Papworth have performed about 1,500 heart transplants, including 45 this year.
The hospital, now named the Royal Papworth, completed its move to Cambridge earlier this year.
A history of heart transplants
- The world’s first human-to-human heart transplant was carried out on Louis Washkansky in Cape Town on 3 December 1967, led by South African surgeon Christiaan Barnard. Mr Washkansky, 54, died of pneumonia 18 days later
- The first heart transplant in the UK, on 3 May 1968 was performed by surgeon Donald Ross. The recipient, Fred West, 45, survived for 45 days
- A spate of heart transplants in 1968 and 1969 with short survival rates led to a UK moratorium on the procedure
- Sir Terence English carried out the first heart transplant at Papworth in January 1979. The patient survived for 17 days
- In August 1979, Keith Castle became the first recipient to be discharged from hospital in the UK, living for more than five years
Huddersfield sacked head coach Jan Siewert an hour after losing at home to Fulham, with Ivan Cavaleiro’s superb goal securing victory over the struggling Terriers.
Huddersfield remain winless this season and Siewert had been under growing pressure following Tuesday’s home Carabao Cup defeat by League One Lincoln City.
The visitors had the better of an even first half and took the lead after the break when Juninho Bacuna’s horribly miscued clearance proved to be the perfect cross for Aleksandar Mitrovic to head home.
Town levelled when Karlan Grant’s header from Flo Hadergjonaj’s centre just crossed the line despite the attempts of Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli, but Cavaleiro won it with a wonderful curled finish from just inside the area.
Huddersfield, relegated from the Premier League alongside Fulham last season, have not won in any competition since February and have taken just one point from their first three games this season.
Grant’s header, awarded by the referee with the aid of goal line technology, had looked set to give them a second successive 1-1 draw.
But Wolves loanee Cavaleiro was afforded too much time after Town failed to deal with a looped Steven Sessegnon cross and the Portuguese forward showed his class to secure a second successive league win for Fulham.
Terriers goalkeeper Kamil Grabara had earlier made two good saves from Anthony Knockaert and the score would have been worse but for the performance of the Liverpool loanee.
Siewert said after Tuesday’s defeat by the Imps that he did not fear for his job, but his record stood at one win from his 19 matches when his departure was confirmed.
Huddersfield travel to fellow relegated side Cardiff on Wednesday, while Scott Parker’s side host Millwall on the same evening.
A 15-year-old girl found dead in the Malaysian jungle after vanishing from a family holiday had starved, a post-mortem has revealed.
Nora Quoirin’s body was discovered beside a stream about 1.6 miles (2.5km) from the jungle resort of Dusun on Tuesday.
Malaysian Police said there was no suspicion of abduction or foul play.
Her body was found following a 10-day search after she disappeared on 4 August.
The teenager died two or three days before she was found, police believe.
Nora was born with holoprosencephaly, a disorder which affects brain development.
Her parents had previously said they didn’t believe she would have wandered off alone and suspected she had been abducted.
It’s the time of year when many parents are buying their children’s school uniform – which some say can cost in excess of £200. Do schools need to relax their rules on branded clothing to help make it cheaper? Or can online swap groups and recycling schemes cut the cost of going back to school?
The cost of school uniform
Research by market analysts Mintel suggests British parents spend about £1.2bn on clothing and equipment for school.
The Department for Education (DfE) asked 1,183 parents about uniform costs in 2015 and found it came to almost £213 per child. Adjusting its figures for inflation, it would make the average cost of uniform in 2019 almost £230 per pupil.
What parents recalled spending
Source: DfE survey of 1,183 parents in 2015, figures adjusted for inflation
Adding in PE kit, parents recalled paying the equivalent to £70 more for primary school children and between £111 and £140 extra for those of secondary school age.
Separate estimates from The Children’s Society in 2018 put the total cost of uniform at £256 per primary school child and £338 per secondary school pupil.
How to cut the cost: Online swaps
One way of cutting the cost is to swap uniform with other parents. Thousands of people are members of social media groups that do this.
Yvonne Hall, 38, from Stockton-on-Tees, set up a Facebook group for parents to donate used school uniforms.
Her 16-year-old son changed schools in the first term of last year and Mrs Hall said she found herself with “another hefty uniform bill” of about £100 on top of the cost of the old uniform.
“I decided to donate the brand new uniform my son had only worn for a week on Facebook and it was snapped up instantly,” she said.
The page now has parents sharing uniforms, PE kits and revision guides.
A sample of 100 Facebook groups set up in Britain and containing the words “school uniform” and “swap” or “free” showed they had 34,110 members between them, an average of more than 340 each.
Does it have to be a new uniform?
Kate French wants to challenge what she calls the UK’s culture of “always buying new” school uniforms.
She set up the charity Uniform Exchange in Huddersfield in 2011 to help families who were struggling with the cost of basics items, but now says the project is also about reducing waste.
“If anything has got life left in it then we should be recycling,” she said. “By the time my kids get home in the evening, their uniform is covered in pen or mud.
“Any school uniform will look second hand by the end of the first week.”
What help is available?
Some councils or schools offer financial support.
In England schools can use the funding they get from the DfE’s pupil premium – money allocated for children from poorer backgrounds.
Hackney Council spent £72,300 on school uniform grants in 2018-19. Manchester City Council spent £208,529 on school uniform grants in 2014-15 but stopped offering them the following year.
A spokesman for the Local Government Association said funding cuts from central government had resulted in councils finding it “increasingly difficult” to provide grants for school uniforms.
In Scotland families can apply for a £100 grant in the same way they apply for free school meals.
From September families in Wales can apply for a £125 Pupil Development Grant, which comes alongside advice to schools to have gender neutral uniforms and minimal branding.
In Northern Ireland funding varies from £35.75 to £56 depending on the age of the child.
Is uniform cheaper in the supermarket?
The BBC compared school clothing on the websites of four large UK supermarkets and found the average prices were about £58 less for a primary school uniform and £118 less for a secondary school uniform than in the government’s survey of parents.
The saving is likely to be higher as the analysis is based only on buying one of each item, excluding any spares parents would typically purchase.
It also depends on whether schools would permit parents to use supermarket uniform or whether they have to have items with the school’s logo.
Can school uniform be cheaper?
Difference (£) between average cost of uniform in supermarkets and government estimates
What do suppliers say?
Suppliers of school uniforms said their costs were lower than the estimates in the government’s survey.
A spokeswoman for Price and Buckland said uniforms should be affordable for everyone, adding: “We work with some schools that offer pupil premium and offer vouchers to parents to support them with purchasing uniform.”
Michael Franklin from National School Uniforms said supermarket clothing, while cheaper, was generally “far inferior to the norm”, with bespoke items lasting “three times as long”.
Carolyn Budding from YourSchoolUniform.com said schools should take out contracts with single suppliers, who could “offer more competitive prices”.
“This is contrary to government advice to schools to offer a choice of suppliers,” she said.
What is the government doing?
Emma Hardy, Labour MP for West Hull and Hessle and a former primary school teacher, said schools needed to “poverty proof” their uniform policies and remove the need for clothing with school branding so they could be bought “from any shop”.
“I think if you can make uniform more accessible parents can make it just as smart as if it’s been bought from a specific school retailer,” she said.
A Department for Education spokeswoman said: “Our guidance states that schools should prioritise cost when setting uniform policies, including making sure uniforms are easily available at different outlets, and keeping compulsory branded items to a minimum.
“We have been clear that when there is a suitable time in Parliament, we intend to make this guidance statutory.”
Ola Ince is a south Londoner who is taking London’s theatre scene by storm.
The 30-year-old has directed a host of shows in the West End including Tina the Musical.
She is also not afraid to tackle controversial subjects that ask questions about race and gender.
Ms Ince addresses these issues in her latest project at the Donmar Warehouse.
A man has been charged with attempted murder and possessing an offensive weapon after a police officer was stabbed in the head in east London.
The PC was attacked as he tried to stop a van in Leyton early on Thursday. He managed to Taser his assailant while being stabbed in the head and body.
He suffered multiple injuries but the Met Police says he will recover.
Muhammed Rodwan, 56, from Luton, is due to appear at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
Two uniformed officers tried to stop the van at the junction of Coopers Lane and Leyton High Road, the Met said.
The injured PC, 28, is a patrol officer who has been with the force for about 10 years.
Speaking earlier, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the attack “underscores for me the bravery of our police, people who actually go towards danger to keep us safer”.
The council responsible for Grenfell Tower is proposing to shut down a scrutiny committee set up to look at its response to the fatal fire in 2017.
Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (RBKC) councillors say the group would be replaced with new dedicated public meetings which have a “wider remit”.
It follows a review by RBKC of the way it “holds decision-makers to account”.
Campaigners say they fear the Grenfell crisis will be “subsumed into the day-to-day running of the council”.
Residents shouted “shame on you” as councillors voted through the recommendation to scrap the Grenfell Recovery Scrutiny Committee (GRSC) at a meeting in Kensington Town Hall.
The move is part of a review of the council’s scrutiny processes, which will reduce the current six specialist committees to four.
The committees will look at adult social care and health; environment; family services; and housing and communities – all under an overarching overview and scrutiny body.
Councillors have recommended that scrutiny of Grenfell recovery services is prioritised within these committees.
According to the council, the new public meetings will “replace and expand upon” the GRSC, and give greater power to communities to hold all public agencies involved in Grenfell recovery to account.
From September, the meetings will be held four times a year.
However, Moyra Samuels of Justice4Grenfell, a community-led organisation, said the council’s decision was “very troubling”.
She said: “Grenfell will be just one of many issues facing locals up for discussion – alongside dog litter and bus routes.
“It’s frankly an insult to the bereaved and the survivors [of the Grenfell fire].
“We don’t want public meetings, we want to know who is holding this council to account.”
The decision is expected to be approved at the next full council meeting on 24 July.
A man who murdered a barmaid in a sexually motivated attack has admitted previously killing another woman.
Kasim Lewis, 32, was jailed for life for murder of Iuliana Tudos, 22, whose naked body was found in a park, three days after she vanished on her way home from work on Christmas Eve 2017.
Lewis pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to murdering Catherine Burke, 55, at her home in Haringey the month before Ms Tudos was killed.
He will be sentenced on Thursday.
The court heard that after Lewis’s conviction, DNA evidence linked him to the scene of the death of retired civil servant Ms Burke.
Police found the mother-of-one stabbed to death on 16 November 2017, and her mobile phone was tracked in the direction of Lewis’ address.
At the time of her death a neighbour described Ms Burke, who had lived alone since her son went to university, as “a real character”.
A month later a cocaine, cannabis and alcohol-fuelled Lewis attacked Ms Tudos as she passed through Finsbury Park on her walk home after a shift at the World’s End pub in Camden, north London.
Lewis slashed her with a broken bottle in the neck, abdomen and wrists and during the attack extracted her PIN number and later withdrew cash from her account.
Her body was found in a burnt-out building by her friends.
After admitting murder, Lewis, previously of Friern Barnet, was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 29 years.
Judge Richard Marks QC described the killing of Ms Tudos as “wicked beyond belief”.
|Specsavers County Championship Division One, Trent Bridge, Nottingham (day one):|
|Surrey 240: Elgar 59, Smith 42; Ashwin 6-69, Patterson-White 3-62|
|Nottinghamshire 20-1: Morkel 1-2|
|Surrey (1 pt) lead Nottinghamshire (3 pts) by 220 runs|
India spinner Ravichandran Ashwin took 6-69 as Nottinghamshire bowled out Surrey for 240 on the opening day of their match at Trent Bridge.
The 32-year-old trapped openers Rory Burns and Ryan Patel lbw, only for Dean Elgar (59) and Jamie Smith (42) to rebuild by guiding Surrey to 126-2.
But Ashwin dismissed both in quick succession to spark a collapse.
All 10 Surrey wickets fell to spin, with Liam Patterson-White taking 3-62, before the hosts closed on 20-1.
Opener Ben Slater was the only casualty for Nottinghamshire, who have struggled with the bat all season and were 38 points adrift at the bottom of Division One prior to this match.
The introduction of Ashwin has, at least, provided a far greater potency with the ball and his class told on the first day against the Brown Caps.
Brought on to bowl in the eighth over, he trapped Patel in front with his fourth ball and then dismissed Burns for 22 in the same fashion midway through the morning session.
While Nottinghamshire’s seamers toiled – including England’s Stuart Broad, who finished with figures of 0-34 from his 11 overs – spinners Ashwin, Patterson-White and Samit Patel (1-25) all posed a threat throughout.
The only wicket to fall to pace was that of Slater, who was dismissed by South African paceman Morne Morkel.
A railway worker who was killed by a train was tired and probably worrying about having to cover for his brother, a report has found.
The man died instantly when he was hit from behind at 69mph (111km/h) in Purley, south London, soon after midnight on 6 November last year.
Investigators found he had moved away from the section of track which had been protected for workers.
Network Rail said it was “reviewing our standards and our supplier practices”.
The worker had put warnings on the tracks to allow others to remove litter, but then walked along sleepers in the middle of the rails to Stoats Nest Junction.
A Southern train approached from behind and in spite of the driver repeatedly sounding his horn and applying the emergency brakes, he was run down.
Inspectors from the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) discovered the man was meant to be assisted by his brother that night.
However, earlier that day his brother had called to say he was too tired to attend as he had been working as a delivery driver and asked him to forge a signature to say he was there.
Investigators found as well as worrying about what would happen if he was caught, he had also only had 3.5 hours sleep as he had been helping to decorate a friend’s house.
The RAIB found the use of staff on zero-hour contracts created conditions “in which it is difficult to manage fatigue effectively”
It recommended both Network Rail and Vital Human Resources, who employed the railway workers, should review their practices.
Sam Chessex, Network Rail acting route managing director, said the firm “does not use zero-hour contracts, and our code of conduct sets out what we expect from suppliers who do use them to ensure contractor safety”.
A spokesperson for Vital Human Resources said: “The health and safety of our workforce is our main priority and a core value within our business.”