Ola Ince is a south Londoner who is taking London’s theatre scene by storm.
The 30-year-old has directed a host of shows in the West End including Tina the Musical.
She is also not afraid to tackle controversial subjects that ask questions about race and gender.
Ms Ince addresses these issues in her latest project at the Donmar Warehouse.
A man has been charged with attempted murder and possessing an offensive weapon after a police officer was stabbed in the head in east London.
The PC was attacked as he tried to stop a van in Leyton early on Thursday. He managed to Taser his assailant while being stabbed in the head and body.
He suffered multiple injuries but the Met Police says he will recover.
Muhammed Rodwan, 56, from Luton, is due to appear at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
Two uniformed officers tried to stop the van at the junction of Coopers Lane and Leyton High Road, the Met said.
The injured PC, 28, is a patrol officer who has been with the force for about 10 years.
Speaking earlier, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the attack “underscores for me the bravery of our police, people who actually go towards danger to keep us safer”.
The council responsible for Grenfell Tower is proposing to shut down a scrutiny committee set up to look at its response to the fatal fire in 2017.
Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (RBKC) councillors say the group would be replaced with new dedicated public meetings which have a “wider remit”.
It follows a review by RBKC of the way it “holds decision-makers to account”.
Campaigners say they fear the Grenfell crisis will be “subsumed into the day-to-day running of the council”.
Residents shouted “shame on you” as councillors voted through the recommendation to scrap the Grenfell Recovery Scrutiny Committee (GRSC) at a meeting in Kensington Town Hall.
The move is part of a review of the council’s scrutiny processes, which will reduce the current six specialist committees to four.
The committees will look at adult social care and health; environment; family services; and housing and communities – all under an overarching overview and scrutiny body.
Councillors have recommended that scrutiny of Grenfell recovery services is prioritised within these committees.
According to the council, the new public meetings will “replace and expand upon” the GRSC, and give greater power to communities to hold all public agencies involved in Grenfell recovery to account.
From September, the meetings will be held four times a year.
However, Moyra Samuels of Justice4Grenfell, a community-led organisation, said the council’s decision was “very troubling”.
She said: “Grenfell will be just one of many issues facing locals up for discussion – alongside dog litter and bus routes.
“It’s frankly an insult to the bereaved and the survivors [of the Grenfell fire].
“We don’t want public meetings, we want to know who is holding this council to account.”
The decision is expected to be approved at the next full council meeting on 24 July.
A man who murdered a barmaid in a sexually motivated attack has admitted previously killing another woman.
Kasim Lewis, 32, was jailed for life for murder of Iuliana Tudos, 22, whose naked body was found in a park, three days after she vanished on her way home from work on Christmas Eve 2017.
Lewis pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to murdering Catherine Burke, 55, at her home in Haringey the month before Ms Tudos was killed.
He will be sentenced on Thursday.
The court heard that after Lewis’s conviction, DNA evidence linked him to the scene of the death of retired civil servant Ms Burke.
Police found the mother-of-one stabbed to death on 16 November 2017, and her mobile phone was tracked in the direction of Lewis’ address.
At the time of her death a neighbour described Ms Burke, who had lived alone since her son went to university, as “a real character”.
A month later a cocaine, cannabis and alcohol-fuelled Lewis attacked Ms Tudos as she passed through Finsbury Park on her walk home after a shift at the World’s End pub in Camden, north London.
Lewis slashed her with a broken bottle in the neck, abdomen and wrists and during the attack extracted her PIN number and later withdrew cash from her account.
Her body was found in a burnt-out building by her friends.
After admitting murder, Lewis, previously of Friern Barnet, was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 29 years.
Judge Richard Marks QC described the killing of Ms Tudos as “wicked beyond belief”.
|Specsavers County Championship Division One, Trent Bridge, Nottingham (day one):|
|Surrey 240: Elgar 59, Smith 42; Ashwin 6-69, Patterson-White 3-62|
|Nottinghamshire 20-1: Morkel 1-2|
|Surrey (1 pt) lead Nottinghamshire (3 pts) by 220 runs|
India spinner Ravichandran Ashwin took 6-69 as Nottinghamshire bowled out Surrey for 240 on the opening day of their match at Trent Bridge.
The 32-year-old trapped openers Rory Burns and Ryan Patel lbw, only for Dean Elgar (59) and Jamie Smith (42) to rebuild by guiding Surrey to 126-2.
But Ashwin dismissed both in quick succession to spark a collapse.
All 10 Surrey wickets fell to spin, with Liam Patterson-White taking 3-62, before the hosts closed on 20-1.
Opener Ben Slater was the only casualty for Nottinghamshire, who have struggled with the bat all season and were 38 points adrift at the bottom of Division One prior to this match.
The introduction of Ashwin has, at least, provided a far greater potency with the ball and his class told on the first day against the Brown Caps.
Brought on to bowl in the eighth over, he trapped Patel in front with his fourth ball and then dismissed Burns for 22 in the same fashion midway through the morning session.
While Nottinghamshire’s seamers toiled – including England’s Stuart Broad, who finished with figures of 0-34 from his 11 overs – spinners Ashwin, Patterson-White and Samit Patel (1-25) all posed a threat throughout.
The only wicket to fall to pace was that of Slater, who was dismissed by South African paceman Morne Morkel.
A railway worker who was killed by a train was tired and probably worrying about having to cover for his brother, a report has found.
The man died instantly when he was hit from behind at 69mph (111km/h) in Purley, south London, soon after midnight on 6 November last year.
Investigators found he had moved away from the section of track which had been protected for workers.
Network Rail said it was “reviewing our standards and our supplier practices”.
The worker had put warnings on the tracks to allow others to remove litter, but then walked along sleepers in the middle of the rails to Stoats Nest Junction.
A Southern train approached from behind and in spite of the driver repeatedly sounding his horn and applying the emergency brakes, he was run down.
Inspectors from the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) discovered the man was meant to be assisted by his brother that night.
However, earlier that day his brother had called to say he was too tired to attend as he had been working as a delivery driver and asked him to forge a signature to say he was there.
Investigators found as well as worrying about what would happen if he was caught, he had also only had 3.5 hours sleep as he had been helping to decorate a friend’s house.
The RAIB found the use of staff on zero-hour contracts created conditions “in which it is difficult to manage fatigue effectively”
It recommended both Network Rail and Vital Human Resources, who employed the railway workers, should review their practices.
Sam Chessex, Network Rail acting route managing director, said the firm “does not use zero-hour contracts, and our code of conduct sets out what we expect from suppliers who do use them to ensure contractor safety”.
A spokesperson for Vital Human Resources said: “The health and safety of our workforce is our main priority and a core value within our business.”
Arsenal are set to sign Saint-Etienne defender William Saliba in a 30m euro (£27m) deal that will see him loaned back to the Ligue 1 club next season.
The Gunners will pay for the 18-year-old in instalments, which will not have a major impact on their restricted budget of around £45m for this summer.
Saliba is one of the game’s most highly rated young centre-backs.
Arsenal remain in the market for a player to come straight into the first-team squad in the same position.
Saliba joined Saint-Etienne in 2016 and no announcement on Arsenal’s acquisition of the France Under-20 defender is expected for several days while the transfer is finalised.
Arsenal are also pursuing Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney, 22, and additionally hope to recruit a central midfielder and winger.
Meanwhile, former Arsenal midfielder Edu will be confirmed as the club’s first technical director imminently.
Edu, 41, played for Arsenal between 2001 and 2005, winning the Premier League twice and FA Cup twice.
A schoolgirl who was stabbed at a home in north London is now in a stable condition in hospital.
The 11-year-old was previously said to have been in a critical condition after a woman and three children were stabbed.
A 44-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder following the “appalling attack”.
Police were called at 12:13 BST on Saturday to Livingstone Road, in Bounds Green, Enfield.
Officers said the attacker was known to the victims and they were not searching for anyone else.
Det Sgt Joe Stewart, of Enfield Criminal Investigation Department (CID), said: “This was an appalling attack on a woman and her young children.
“They have sustained very serious injuries. Our thoughts are with them as they continue to receive vital treatment in hospital.
“Attacks like this on such young people are extremely rare.
“The attacker was known to the victims. There is no further risk to the public at this time.”
A crime scene and road closures remain in place around the area.
The man remains in a north London police station for questioning.
A woman who claims she had a relationship with film director Michael Winner has admitted robbing his widow of jewellery, art and cash.
Geraldine Winner, 81, suffered head injuries and a broken finger in the break-in at her flat in Knightsbridge, central London, on 9 October 2015.
Gurgana Gueorguieva, 48, of Holland Park, admitted one count of robbery.
However, prosecutors at Southwark Crown Court said they did not accept the basis of her plea.
Ms Gueorguieva only admitted stealing items to the value of £50,000 and claimed any injuries caused to her victim were accidental.
But prosecutors said they did not believe her version of events “particularly when one looks at the injuries sustained by the complainant”.
They also consider that the items taken were worth £280,000.
A judge will rule on the dispute at a so-called Newton hearing on 26 September, when Mrs Winner is also expected give evidence.
‘Zip-tied hands and feet’
A previous hearing was told Mrs Winner was attacked as she went to take the rubbish out.
Prosecutor Manjit Mahal said Ms Gueorguieva “grabbed a kettle from a counter and struck Mrs Winner over the head causing multiple head lacerations”.
“The defendant zip-tied her hands and feet, leaving her face down on the kitchen floor while she proceeded to raid the house of valuables,” he said.
Ms Gueorguieva was arrested after stolen goods thought to be worth £248,000 were found in a storage lock-up in Brentford that she rented, the court heard.
All but one item has now been recovered, the hearing was told.
Mr Mahal said Ms Gueorguieva, a personal trainer, had initially denied any knowledge of the break-in but then gave police “a full and frank admission to the offence”.
He said that when asked about her motivation she “stated she hated Geraldine Winner and had meticulously planned the robbery for two years”, having previously been in a relationship with Mr Winner – who died in 2013 – “between 1999 and 2002”.
A mother-of-one stabbed to death in the early hours of New Year’s Day by a “jealous” boyfriend had previously called him a “nut case”, a court heard.
Charlotte Huggins, 33, was knifed in the back by Michael Rolle at her aunt’s home in Camberwell, south-east London, on 1 January, it was alleged.
Prosecutor Gareth Patterson QC told a jury Mr Rolle would “behave in a controlling way” towards Ms Huggins.
At the Old Bailey, Mr Rolle, 34, of East Dulwich Estate, denies murder.
Mr Patterson said Mr Rolle, who had another partner and a small child, was “jealous” of any contact Ms Huggins had with other men.
The court heard the defendant made reference to Ms Huggins’ childhood friend Jason Nelson on Ms Huggins’ 33rd birthday on 28 December, allegedly telling her: “Go see your boyfriend Jason.”
Mr Rolle also held a knife in a threatening way and pointing it at Ms Huggins’ stomach on that occasion, Mr Patterson said.
The jury was told Ms Huggins referred to the “stupid madness” of what happened on her birthday and referred to the defendant as a “nut case”.
The jury was told Ms Huggins had been to the pub to celebrate the New Year before heading home at 01:45 GMT and contacting Mr Nelson, who lived nearby.
Ms Huggins and Mr Nelson were together at her aunt’s house and the defendant arrived later, Mr Patterson said.
Mr Patterson told the jury: “It seems that the defendant acted aggressively. He barged past [Mr Nelson].”
Ms Huggins asked Mr Nelson to leave, but he returned later to collect belongings, Mr Patterson said.
The prosecutor said it was during the “short period” Mr Nelson was gone that the stabbing took place.
Rolle was arrested on 3 January and “made several significant” comments, which included “asserting that the stabbing had been an accident”, Mr Patterson said.
The jury was told he also denied being jealous of Mr Nelson.
The trial continues.