A man who was cleared over a sword attack on police outside Buckingham Palace went on to plan a series of terror attacks, a court has heard.
Mohiussunnath Chowdhury, 28, was found not guilty of a terror charge over an incident outside the palace in 2017, Woolwich Crown Court heard.
He is accused of later planning attacks on places including London’s Madame Tussauds and London Pride parade.
Mr Chowdhury, of Kirkwood Road, Luton, denies the charge.
He appeared in court alongside his sister, Sneha Chowdhury, 25, who is accused of doing nothing to stop his plans.
Ms Chowdhury, of the same address, denies two charges of failing to disclose information about acts of terrorism.
In the attack outside Buckingham Palace in August 2017, two unarmed officers suffered cuts to their hands when they fought to disarm Mr Chowdhury as he shouted repeatedly “Allahu Akbar” (God is the greatest).
The prosecution told the court that after he was cleared at the Old Bailey, Mr Chowdhury bragged to undercover officers who had him under surveillance that he had deceived the jury.
He also unwittingly confided in them plans to target busy London tourist attractions, with the Madam Tussauds museum and an open-top tourist bus among the potential targets discussed, prosecutor Duncan Atkinson QC said.
“Believing them to be as sincerely committed as he was, he told them of his devotion to the cause of violent Islamic extremism, the basis for this devotion and the skewed religious beliefs that underpinned it,” Mr Atkinson said.
He said Mr Chowdhury was “motivated by dreams of martyrdom for the cause of Islam, and inspired by preachers of hate”.
“The object was to unleash death and suffering on non-Muslim members of the public who happened to be present, using a firearm, sword and even a van as part of an attack,” he said.
The prosecutor told jurors they could consider Chowdhury’s “assertions” to the undercover officers that he was “indeed trying to carry out a terrorist attack in 2017 and that he had deceived the earlier jury that acquitted him of it”.
Mr Atkinson added: “Whatever the position in 2017, he was unquestionably preparing for terrorism in 2019.”
Mr Atkinson said Mr Chowdhury’s sister had “better reason than anyone” to understand what her brother was thinking and wanting to achieve, but she did nothing to stop him.
Mr Chowdhury is charged with one count of engaging in conduct in preparation of terrorist acts, collecting information likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism and of disseminating terrorist publications.
A police ban on Extinction Rebellion protests in London last month was unlawful, High Court judges have ruled.
The Metropolitan Police imposed the ban, which prevented two or more people from the group taking part in protests, under the Public Order Act.
But judges have ruled that police had no power to do this because the law did not cover “separate assemblies”.
Activists say the police could now face claims for false imprisonment from “potentially hundreds” of protesters.
The Met said it would “carefully consider” the ruling.
The protests cost £24m to police and led to 1,828 arrests, with 165 people charged with offences, the Met says.
During the court hearing, the force had argued that the ban was the only way to tackle widespread disruption.
Announcing their judgement, however, Lord Justice Dingemans and Mr Justice Chamberlain ruled in favour of Extinction Rebellion.
Lord Justice Dingemans said: “Separate gatherings, separated both in time and by many miles, even if co-ordinated under the umbrella of one body, are not a public assembly within the meaning of… the Act.
“The XR [Extinction Rebellion] autumn uprising intended to be held from October 14 to 19 was not therefore a public assembly… therefore the decision to impose the condition was unlawful because there was no power to impose it under… the Act.”
The judges noted that there are powers within that act which may be used lawfully to “control future protests which are deliberately designed to ‘take police resources to breaking point”‘.
During 10 days of climate change protests last month, activists shut down areas around Parliament and the Bank of England, and targeted London City Airport.
Police had previously warned protesters to keep demonstrations in Trafalgar Square, or risk arrest – before issuing a city-wide ban on 14 October, under Section 14 of the Public Order Act.
The court was told that the ban was issued on the same day as a message posted online by London activists.
It told protesters to adopt the “be water” tactics used by demonstrators in Hong Kong.
“Be water, crowds split up into fast moving groups and pairs, that network via phones,” it said.
“You gather at particular spots in large numbers, until the police response building then you move to a new disruptive site.”
The ban was lifted four days later, with officers saying that it was no longer necessary because demonstrations had ended.
BBC home affairs correspondent Daniel Sandford
This was a radical tactic adopted by the Metropolitan Police on 14 October – banning all future Extinction Rebellion protests across London for several days.
But it has backfired. No police force likes to have their actions described as “unlawful”.
Today’s High Court ruling takes away from officers the ability to impose a city-wide ban of future protests, which means demonstrators wanting to be “like water” – where they split into fast-moving groups – will be difficult to control if they are trying to disrupt a whole city.
So police will have to deal with what is in front of them.
If a specific protest in a specific place gets out of hand they will be able to close it down, but it will have to be a decision made by an officer on the spot, and not by someone sitting in a police station worrying about what protests may happen the next day.
Responding to Wednesday’s ruling, Extinction Rebellion UK tweeted “we won’t be silenced”.
Green Party peer Jenny Jones – who was among those to bring the legal challenge – described the ruling as “historic” and criticised ministers for speaking out in favour of the ban.
Met Assistant Commissioner Nick Ephgrave said the decision to impose the ban had been “reasonable and proportionate” and “was not taken lightly”.
He added that the police “would not and cannot ban protest” and that the ruling was made specifically on whether officers could arrest demonstrators for assembling in central London.
“There is no criticism from me of the decision to impose the condition, which was made with good intent and based upon the circumstances confronting the command team at the time,” he said.
“It did in fact result in the reduction of the disruption. Nevertheless, this case highlights that policing demonstrations like these, within the existing legal framework, can be challenging.”
What does Extinction Rebellion want?
Extinction Rebellion’s legal victory follows two weeks of protests in the UK last month.
The group (XR for short) wants governments to declare a “climate and ecological emergency” and take immediate action to address climate change.
It describes itself as an international “non-violent civil disobedience activist movement”.
Launched in 2018, organisers say it has groups willing to take action in dozens of countries.
It uses an hourglass inside a circle as its logo, to represent time running out for many species.
Trade unions suspended a threat of strike action on the London Underground last week after successful talks with Transport for London (TfL). There has not been a strike on the Tube during 2019 but have industrial relations improved since Sadiq Khan took over as Mayor of London from Boris Johnson three years ago?
Figures obtained by the BBC show that in the past 11 financial years, since Mr Johnson took over as mayor from Ken Livingstone, there have been more than 36,000 days lost to strike action.
The number of days lost is so high because TfL counts “one day lost for every member of staff missing” and it has led one academic to describe the London Underground as “a museum of bad industrial relations”.
Various disputes over issues including ticket office closures, job cuts, new rotas, employee dismissals and the introduction of the Night Tube have resulted in 68 individual dates of strike action since April 2008.
The London School of Economics’s Prof Tony Travers explained these industrial rows resembled “trigger points” that each mayor would aim to avoid in order to prevent any big strikes.
“These trigger points are usually something new,” he said. “These include the Night Tube, Olympics or working Boxing Day.
“Unions have long used the Underground as good leverage when trying to get better pay because of the monopoly that it serves.”
Between April 2008 and May 2012, during Mr Johnson’s first spell as Mayor of London, 12,523 shifts were lost to strike action – despite him trying to negotiate no-strike deals with the Tube unions.
Figures showed a further 19,689 working days were lost while he was mayor during his second term between May 2012 and May 2016.
In his 2016 Mayor of London election campaign Mr Khan pledged to “reduce the number of days lost to strike action” and he has seen 3,824 shifts lost to strike days during his time at City Hall.
While there have been significantly fewer working days lost to strikes under Mr Khan, there have been 25 dates of industrial action in his three years as mayor, compared with 33 across the whole eight years Mr Johnson was in office.
“Under Sadiq there have been fewer days lost,” Prof Travers said. “But the entire record for Tube strikes is particularly dire.”
TfL said the effect of any strike was dependent on the nature of the dispute, the number of unions involved and where the strike had been called.
The figures included strikes that affected either the whole Tube network or just part of it.
A spokesman for the Mayor of London said strike action had “reduced” under Mr Khan because he “listens to the concerns of workers”.
However, Conservative London Assembly member Keith Prince defended Mr Johnson’s record, instead accusing Mr Khan of having a “worse strikes record (than) any of his predecessors”.
According to the TfL data, strike action was predominantly taken by the RMT union, which has about 10,000 members employed on the Tube, and saw workers walk out on 34 occasions.
Aslef, which represents 2,456 Tube drivers, took 13 dates of strike action, while Unite had eight disputes which led to industrial action.
The Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA) walked out on two occasions over “employee terms and conditions”.
Aslef’s Finn Brennan said his union had “regular meetings between transport unions, Mr Khan and his team”.
He added: “Aslef uses these meetings to highlight issues that go beyond the remit of the machinery meetings with employers and to encourage a more reasonable attitude on matters we have raised with the company.”
A man in his 60s has been stabbed to death in west London.
Emergency services were called to St Mary’s Avenue in Southall at about 18:40 BST on Saturday where they found the man suffering from a stab wound.
He was pronounced dead at the scene and his next of kin have been informed, the Met Police said.
A man in his 30s has been arrested on suspicion of murder and is in hospital under police guard being treated for minor injuries.
According to a witness who gave the injured man first aid, he was stabbed after leaving a pub.
Raj Grover, who lives near to the victim, said he was getting ready to go to his own birthday party when the man knocked on his front door.
“He was ringing our doorbell,” he told the PA news agency. “He rang the bell and I went out, my son was there, he was shouting ‘Dad, come out’.
“I went downstairs and saw he was full of blood, and then I was running to pick up a towel.
“I put the towel on and I was pressing to stop the blood, then my wife came out, we called the ambulance and the police.”
Mr Grover, who runs a local business, said the victim asked him to call his wife, who then arrived at the house.
“His wife, she mentioned he went to the pub, I don’t know what happened in the pub just around the corner, he came back, was on his way back and somebody stabbed him twice, stabbed him two times with a knife on the stomach and on his side,” he said.
A crime scene and multiple road closures are in place in the area, Scotland Yard said on Saturday evening.
Ola Ince is a south Londoner who is taking London’s theatre scene by storm.
The 30-year-old has directed a host of shows in the West End including Tina the Musical.
She is also not afraid to tackle controversial subjects that ask questions about race and gender.
Ms Ince addresses these issues in her latest project at the Donmar Warehouse.
Penguins in same-sex relationships at London Zoo have had their beach transformed as they prepare to celebrate Pride next week.
Banners reading “some penguins are gay, get over it” have been propped up at the beach, home to the zoo’s most famous gay couple, Ronnie and Reggie.
The pair in 2015 famously adopted a chick abandoned by another couple.
London Pride-inspired Zoo Nights will start on 5 July.
The signage honouring Stonewall’s Get Over It campaign will be erected at the 93-strong penguins’ beach in Regent’s Park.
Ronnie and Reggie, a couple since 2014, live on the beach with fellow gay couples Nadja and Zimmer and Dev and Martin.
Ronnie and Reggie hit the headlines in 2015 when they picked up an abandoned egg and acted as if it were their own, incubating and feeding it until the chick, named Kyton, fledged the nest.
They behaved just like heterosexual parents would, London Zoo told the BBC, sharing the tasks equally among themselves.
Four years on and despite Kyton leaving them to join the colony, Ronne and Reggie still “spend all their time together”, the zoo said.
The Pride celebrations will last three days, starting with Zoo Nights on Friday 5 July, open to over 18s only and featuring activities aimed at teaching the public about same-sex behaviours in the animal kingdom.
The Zoo’s LGBT+ society will then take to the streets of central London to join the Saturday Pride Parade.
There will also be a Rainbow Families event on 7 July, where drag artist Mama G will share positive tales about “being who you are, and loving who you want”.
London Zoo said: “We loved Stonewall’s campaign and wanted to remind people that same-sex relationships happen across the animal kingdom – even here in our penguin colony at ZSL London Zoo.
“Zoo Nights Pride Takeover is a great opportunity to celebrate diversity while learning about wildlife.”
Major disruption has been caused to services at London Euston after a trespasser forced lines to be shut for more than two hours.
The delays began at about 08:00 BST and the power on the tracks was turned off so the trespasser could be removed.
The trespasser was spotted close to track near Carpenders Park, south of Watford.
The line was reopened at about 10:25, but passengers are being warned of major delays.
Network Rail said delays would have a knock-on effect throughout the day.
It has advised passengers to check with train operators before travelling.